Sport and PE at Bowesfield Primary School
Sport is given a high profile at Bowesfield Primary School, with all children participating in PE lessons (including games, athletics, gym and dance) twice a week, opportunities for children to take part in sporting activities and clubs before and after school (gymnastics, athletics, dance, football, hockey, cricket and more…) and a number of children representing our school in sporting competitions across the borough and beyond. Children in Y3-5 undertake a series of swimming lessons, with top up for children in Year 6, as necessary so that all our children can achieve the expected standard and stay safe in the water.
We are actively involved in our local School Sports Partnership. We are also very fortunate to have our own Sports Coach within our school who support our focus on sports and PE and leads sessions from lunchtime, throughout the day and during after school clubs.
Sports Premium Funding
What is Sports Premium?
Beginning in 2013/2014, The Government has provided funding to schools to improve the quality and breadth of physical education and sports provision. Schools are free to determine how best to use this funding including increasing participation in physical education and sport so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels they are capable of.
Purpose of the Funding
Schools are encouraged to spend the sport funding on improving the quality and breadth of provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this. Possible uses for the funding include:
- Employing specialist physical education teachers or qualified coaches to work alongside teachers when teaching PE.
- Employing a local coach to provide weekly after-school sport on the school site.
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs.
- Paying for transport, pool hire and instruction to provide additional swimming lessons.
- Paying for cover staff to release teachers for professional development opportunities in PE/sport.
- Running sport competitions or increasing participation in the school games.
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport.